ProCredit Bank takes part in an information campaign against the most popular types of financial frauds that online consumers come across. The campaign, organized by Europol, the European Banking Federation and private and public sector partners, locally coordinated by the Association of Banks in Bulgaria and is part of the European Cyber Security Month.
Тhe most popular types of fraud to which the citizens could become victims, are as follows:
- CEO fraud: scammers pretend to be a CEO or a senior representative in the organization and trick the victim into paying a fake invoice or making an unauthorized transfer out of the business account.
- Invoice fraud: they pretend to be one of the clients/suppliers of the user and trick them into paying future invoices into a different bank account controlled by them.
- Phishing/Smishing/Vishing: they call the users, send them a text message or an email to trick them into sharing their personal, financial or security information which could be used afterwards for criminal purposes.
- Spoofed bank website fraud: they use bank phishing emails with a link to the spoofed website. Once the user clicks on the link, ious methods are used to collect their financial and personal information for misuse. The site will look like its legitimate counterpart, with small differences.
- Romance scam: they pretend to be interested in a romantic relationship. It commonly takes place on online dating websites, but scammers often use social media or email to make contact in order to obtain money and/or data and/or for extortion purposes.
- Personal data theft: they harvest your personal information via social media channels. Data can help criminals get access to bank accounts, obtain credit, or engage in another illegal activity on behalf of the victim.
- Investment and online shopping scams: they make you think you are on a smart investmen or present you with a great fake online offer.
ProCredit Bank is committed to making efforts to raise public awareness of the identification of such fraudulent techniques while operating in the Internet environment and strive to support the work of all relevant institutions and organizations to protect individuals from becoming victims of financial and other crimes.